Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bruges? London, London, London

You may be wondering, whatever did happen in Bruges? But you probably aren't because I never really outline my itinerary. In short the two curly haired sibblings (my bro bro and me) decided to sleep in, giving Bruges a miss. However, after one cancelled train, a highly emotional breakdown and large doses of panic we did spend one night in Belgium...
Buuuut then we were in London! London, London, London! It actual felt like home, or as much like home as Orange County does. 

It's such a BIIIIIG city! You always feel like you aren't doing it justice :( 


The first day after the exhausting debarcle of not actually getting to London on time we walked over to Camden Town and had a sneaky look at the markets. They have so much stuff, most of it useless but all of it very cool to look at. I usually find while away I start to like things I would never wear at home or have an extreme desire to dye my hair purple (true story). 



They had all these amazing antiques there too! I mean if there is ever a place to buy antiques it would have to be Europe, things are actually old there... not 200 years but centuries and centuries! Obviously, I wouldn't be able to afford things that were that old but it's an entertaining idea to own something that has a history of its own... that isn't clothing, because with clothes it's like you are wearing a dead person, unless it's thoroughly dry-cleaned I just can't do it. 

Aaaanyway, went out to Shoreditch that night and watched TNGHT a hip hop DJ set with my bro bro, which was pretty awesome. I, being not as awesome as everyone else there did wear ear plugs but I owned it! So what if I couldn't hear people to the point they started speaking to me in French because they thought I couldn't speak English? I mean, how complimentary that someone thought I was French... even if he was mighty high, still a compliment. 





The next day I attempted to play tour guide to Oliver aka bro bro but just got lost and kept finding historically significant areas by accident. It still worked. Then we went back to Shoreditch to meet a friend... the most exciting part of my day was finding out he worked in the SAME COMPLEX AS THE STUDIO IN WHICH JAMIE OLIVER'S 30 MINUTE MEALS WAS FILMED! Such a stretch but it's like I was there! I actually got a photo of the window of the studio (looking in, not out) but it's on my camera camera so you'll have to wait until I get home.

On Saturday our parents arrived, que the beginning of a more classy and luxurious holiday. I had a shower at their hotel (before getting the overnight bus to Paris - see the juxtaposition, it's almost like neglect) and it was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelightful! I hadn't felt such pressure since leaving home. My hair has developed a second layer of 'sheen' whilst over here - making it mainly flat but whatevs. 


As this holiday is primarily a kind of last hurrah of family holidays for Mum's 50th it is nice to spend some time with them (and enjoy the finer things in life). Obviously, Mum is very excited about this... she has a list of 'dream' places to go that she has been carrying around - literally pages out of traveling magazines (too cute).

The family part of the holiday was intended to begin in Italy in a couple of days so the first couple of days of overlap were a bit of an accident and so, family time was a little splintered. But much of Saturday and Sunday we spent together.

Saturday evening, for instance, we were spoiled with a fabulous dinner at NOPI (blow by blow to come later).


Sunday we attempted to nullify the shopping with an injection of culture at the Tate. We saw Damien Hursts 50 million pound skull - which I'm going to admit I don't really get, it's just super extravagant, before heading off to lunch at Brick Lane. 


A historically significant sight in London
My knowledge of Brick Lane was limited, coming mainly from a few scenes in movies so I expected the markets to be quite exotic.... They weren't... but they were soo amazing! There are such large crowds of people, glorious smelling food and cute little stalls popping up everywhere. The markets stretches for a couple of kilometers and it is hard to resist not buying something! At the end of our short visit we stumbled across a small bagel house that just so happened to be featured in one of Mum's wish lists. I have honestly never seen her so excited.... They served fresh bagels with salt beef, supposedly better than in New York (according to Mum's article which quotes Heston Blumenthal - that's some authority there!) I wouldn't know if it was better but it was super delicious!


The true joy was watching them carve the meet and stack up the sandwiches like well oiled machine!






No comments:

Post a Comment