Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Catch of the Day!

I love seafood, but I've never been a huge fan of the traditional fish and chips... When I say never, clearly I mean since I could no longer eat all the fried food I want without caring, but same, same. So I was ecstatic to discover (or re-discover*) Fishmongers (Mongers) Byron Bay!

In my mind Mongers is fish and chips with a Japanese inflection. The food is fresh, service fast, and the servings generous. At first I was a little overwhelmed with the menu but it soon became clear that each main comes with the choice of three or four side options, as in you can get the BBQ octopus with chips or salad or rice etc etc. 

We ordered grilled prawns, BBQ octopus with veggie tempura, salt and pepper squid, and one of the fish of the day with a pepper crust. 



I'm a sucker for sauces and loooved their octopus, the tempura is super tasty and full of nice surprises... corn on the cob tempura... Super duper mushroom Tempura - COME ON GUYS!

The serves come with loads of chips so we ended up ordering only side of chips between four and it was plenty! The salads also came with corn and everything was sprinkled with the most awesome "kumera"(layman's translation: sweet potatoe) chips. 

I was excited to find the Monger also has cafes in Bondi and Manly, so can't wait to try them on for size!

Happy eating! xx

*I had many moons ago stumbled across Mongers on a fam holiday.



Fishmongers Byron Bay on Urbanspoon









No comments:

Post a Comment