Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Study Splurge


A few weeks ago I signed myself up to take part in a fitness challenge in the hopes of developing a long lasting love for athleticism that will nearly match my love of food... you know to balance things out. 

The challenge hasn't started yet, but I decided I should start watching what I eat anyway... then I went to Gowings (twice), and ate hot chips for 6 meals in one week (note I said for not with). To add to this snowballing disaster I am also studying for exams... and we know what that means. Although I have nearly completed all my Christmas shopping without leaving my desk I am aaaalways hungry!

Last night after a pretty pathetic "day" of study, I decided to wallow in self pity and fry me up something tasty!

To make these takes I'd estimate about 15-20 minutes, with prep, cooking and  some cleaning time included. Gather your ingredients and go to town. 
Ingredients: Zucchinni flowers, fetta, mascarpone, parsley, corn flour, plain flour, soda water and possible Parmesan if you are feeling cheeky!

  1. Roughly chop about 50 g of fetta.
  2. Mix it in a bowl with two generously heaped tablespoons of mascarpone and a handful of roughly chopped parsley
  3. Add salt and pepper to taste. 
  4. Open up the zucchini flowers as delicately as possible and stuff in the mixtures (I found using my hands was the most efficient, and messiest) - you only need a small teaspoon of filling in each flower leaving a little room at the top to twist the flower close.
  5. In a separate bowl make a tempura batter, which I found by googling, all the recipes are pretty much the same and call for 1/2 cup corn flower, 1/2 cup plain flour, whisked egg, and a cup of chilled soda water, mix the soda water and egg together before adding the dry ingredients - I also grated some Parmesan cheese into the mixture.
  6. Heat a generous amount of oil in a deep fry pan, please not I pan fried not deep fried but the choice is yours - also I would consider baking but I'll have to try it out first and report back to you. 
  7. Dip and fry! Yummy, yummy, yummy
 
I paired these with more fried food, but that wasn't my fault... I promise! They would be also fair well as a meal in themselves or with baked chicken. 

Happy eating! xx

Secret admission: my soda water was not chilled... naughty me.

No comments:

Post a Comment