Monday, October 15, 2012

$10 poached egg salad

This was a delicious combination of left overs that needed sprucing up! I have been eating out (or at least not in my home) a lot recently so I was craving something clean and simple.

This salad takes a little longer than your average cold salad but is well worth it!
 
  1.  Grab some salad greens and chuck them in a bowl 
  2. Grill some tomatoes and bread with a bit of fennel seeds and a generous amount of salt and olive oil (I used some left over tuscan salad from Jaamie's 30 minute meals). It is optional to put in anchovies also if you are in to that sought of thing.
  3. Bring some water to the boil and poach an egg - as you can see along with the simple task of making buttercream icing, poaching an egg still alludes me so I use a pouch thing.
  4. Assemble salad! I added half a cucumber then piled on the warm bread and tomatoes topping it all off with an egg!
Dressing is optional but a touch of a light vinegar wouldn't go astray and voila! Yummy and filing salad for half the price of a cafe cesar!

Shopping list max 2-3 salads with some left overs:

Spinach or mixed greens small bag $3.00
Hard crust dinner roll 60c  each
Punnet of cherry tomatoes $3.98
Six-pack of free-range eggs $3.29
Fennel seeds $3.15
Cucumber approx $1

Cost price per salad: approx $4.50


Happy eating! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment