Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Top Ten dishes...

The beautiful NOPI
Europe, Oh Europe, you distant memory! Nothing erases the relaxation and sanity of a good holiday quite like coming home. 
Then I got lazy, trying to catch up on my beloved Masterchef before it's premature end and neglected to fill you in on the rest of my adventures. Alas, I am too late now (probably too late as soon as I landed, whatevs) lucky for you I won't force you through a recap of the events... instead I will focus on the most important thing. The food. 
So I present the Top Ten dishes.... of Europe* 

1. Frankfurt in Frankfurt
It seems obvious right? 24 hours in Frankfurt the first thing you would think to eat is a Frankfurt. Turned out to be a lot harder to find that initally anticipated but we did pend most of that day walking around in a haze of fatigue. But the deliciously warm fatty filled sausage was amawesome!

2. NOPI
A lavish treat if ever there was one! This beautiful restaurant is owned by the fabulous Mr Yotam Ottolenghi - who is also the guy behind my most favourite lentil salad!
The restaurant, hidden away in a side street of Soho, has a superslick interior making hour half hour tardiness even more embarassing. Surrounded by white marble and gold flickering lanterns I was a little in awe, then I saw the spread of fresh salads and veg and bread and I diiied! The menu is short and sweet with a few tapas selections to share, four mains and three desserts. Obviously, as his cookbook PLENTY is all veg, this is a VERY vegetarian friendly restaurant. I can't tell you how wonderful and fresh everything was... but hey a picture says a thousand words right


    
        


This was a surprise. This little local hang was mentioned in the SMH. The waiter spoke little English (which was kind of nice) so meant it was a kind of game of translation tryng to order - which inevitably means we pointed at things on the black board. For someone who has a reputation for fried, my favourite dish at this restaurant was the fresh tomato salad!

The perfect mix of fresh green and red tomatoes with croutons, the smallest dash of balsamic and an indescribably possible goats cheese cream, oh and crisped onions. Also the pair in the kitchen were trained in our very own Tetsuya's - Bonus!

4. œuf on top of Galleries La'Fayette
Best thing evaaaaaaar! Will be incorporating it into my $10 meals. Fab, fresh, fast. 


5. French Onion Soup
Probably not fast or fresh but who can go past a French Onion Soup?! Especially in Paris! 


6. Dinner at the Villa
Our amazing hostess in Parma did an all inclusive service! So whenever there was the desire her and her cook would cook up a storm! All hand made, all from the local area - if not the garden and all delicious! 

So, this place is probably all over Trip Advisor, but if you are in the area (which would be unlikely, unless you too got lost looking for a castle) this is an amazing little family run place. Trattoria La Buca has been around for hundreds of years (I kid you not!) and for good reason. Fresh hand made pasta, their own little Culatello, which I will crudely say (although I'm sure someone in Italy will die reading this) is like prosciutto/pancetta. Bonus treat they have the cellar just out the back and will gladly take you for a little tour! 


8. Anchovies at La Cinque Terra
So probably not a meal by any means - I don't care. It was fresh, salty and super

9. Cabonarra @ Angelo D'or
THIS WAS THE BEST CABONARRA IN THE WORLD! and it was the entre. My main was actually pretty disappointing but who cares - I have even recreated this at home (already). It tastes soooo creamy but, thankfully, without the cream. 

Just a barely poached egg (or you could do as I did because I am beyond incapable of making a presentable poached egg... at this time, and soft boil an egg for 2 minutes or 1 and half and crack it over individual serves) and pair it with some parmesan cream - Must be served hot, must not be served with zucchini "pasta" trust me. 

10. 
So it just sounded good, 10. A good round number, but when I brainstormed there were many dishes I could have added to plump up the list but when I thought of the best these nine just stuck out. I don't even have to tryyy and remember what they looked or tasted like. 

So that's it. My Top Ten Not Ten dishes of Europe. Yum!

*in no particular order

No comments:

Post a Comment